I’ve probably mentioned this before, but I love granola bars. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a gluten-free and dairy-free store bought version that I like, so I continue to experiment with homemade (also, so much cheaper this way!).
This time I used maple syrup, nutmeg and chopped almonds, with a honey-brown sugar mixture as a binder. I have to say, I think it’s my best batch yet! I upped the honey content so these came out nice and chewy, just how I like them 🙂
Chewy Maple Nutmeg Granola Bars
2 cups oats
1/2 cup rice bran
1/2 cup almond pieces
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
pinch of salt
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Place oats in a 9×13 inch pan and toast in the oven at 300 degrees for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, nutmeg & salt in a saucepan. Heat over low flame until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Remove oats from oven. Stir in bran and nuts, then pour into saucepan with honey-sugar mixture, stirring to coat.
- Pour oat mixture into 9 x 13 inch greased baking pan, pressing firmly to compress a bit.
- Reduce over temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then cut into squares or whatever size granola bars you prefer (I usually do 18 or so).
rice bran: 2.99
maple syrup: 5.99
Grand total: $12.62 (about 0.70/bar)