I love my old favorite chocolate chip banana nut muffins, but I was in the mood for something different. I happened to grab a bag of coconut in the store today (I’m planning try an un-granola bar with coconut [sadly, oats bother me now too]), so I figured, how can banana and coconut be bad?
The best part of these muffins is how the coconut gets all crispy and brown on the top, the perfect little crunch as you bite into the cinnamon and nutmeg scented banana goodness. It was really hard to eat only one 🙂
Note: I’ve noticed that sifting gluten free flour really helps minimize lumps. As always, you can make these muffins with regular flour if you happen to be able to eat it.
Toasted Coconut Banana Muffins
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 + 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend together bananas and egg. Mix in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Sift together baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Stir into wet mixture until combined and most of the lumps are gone.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins. Sprinkle coconut evenly over top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffins edges are browned and coconut is crispy and toasted.
other ingredients: <4.00
Grand total: 5.98; makes 12