Ever since my sweet & smoky glazed almonds and smoky maple & brown sugar glazed walnuts, I’ve been contemplating a sweet and spicy glazed nut, and this time using walnuts. I’ve tried chili powder and pepper, but wanted something a bit out of the ordinary, so I decided to try using some powdered ginger. The spiciness is tempered by the caramelized sugar, just the right amount of subtle heat to complement the sweetness.
Ginger & Brown Sugar Glazed Walnuts
2 cups raw walnuts
1 tsp agave
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 heaping tsp ground ginger
hefty pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine sugar, ginger, and salt; make sure there are no lumps.
- In a separate bowl, coat walnuts in agave. Add sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool, breaking up any large pieces that have stuck together.
Grand total: $6.98